This delicious sun dried tomato hummus is definitely something that appears often in our family. It is so easy to make and pairs well with many different dishes – spread it on a sandwich, add it to a salad or snack on it with some celery or carrots.
The main ingredient in hummus is chickpeas, which are cultivated in Middle East and the Mediterranean. Chickpeas are a great source of vegetarian protein and are packed with healthy fats, potassium, magnesium, calcium and other essential nutrients. I always recommend cooking your own chickpeas (instead of buying cans) to ensure the high quality as well as freshness. I often cook a large batch in a slow cooker, then separate in small individual ziplock bags and freeze them for later. Take one bag out of the freezer to defrost the day before making hummus and you will not only save money but also stay clear of purchasing canned chickpeas (which may be contaminated with BPA).
There are a few varieties of hummus you could make – original, garlic, avocado, black olive, jalapeño and cilantro, roasted red pepper. Whichever you prefer, it’s best if made at home from scratch and will taste MUCH better.
Do you know somebody who will enjoy this recipe? Share it with them! And don’t forget to share a picture in Instagram so I can see all your delicious creations.
- 1 tbsp tahini paste
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp filtered water
- juice of 1 lemon
- ½ tsp Himalayan sea salt
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chopped parsley
- 1½ cups cooked chickpeas
- ½ cup sun dried tomatoes
- More sun dried tomatoes, pine nuts and sweet paprika for topping
- In a high speed blender or food processor blend together first 8 ingredients until smooth and creamy.
- Add in sun dried tomatoes and pulse a few times until smooth.
- Finally add cooked chickpeas and blend all together until creamy.
- Spread the hummus in a shallow dish and refrigerate for 1 hour before serving.
- Top with pine nuts, tomatoes and sprinkle of sweet paprika before serving.
- Keep refrigerated for up to 7 days.