Beets are one of those vegetables that most people don’t know what to do with. But they`re actually really sweet and work great in desserts too, especially in smoothies.
Beets have a very strong color that can stain everything they touch, so be careful wearing light colored clothing while cooking beetroot.
Lately, I have been enjoying these slow cooked beets on the side with my dinner. I find the easiest mess-free cooking method is roasting whole beetroot in the oven or in slow cooker with the skin on.
Beetroot is high in potassium and vitamin C, which strengthen the immune system. Beets can also lower blood pressure; so if yours is on the high side, try adding them to your diet more often.
Zaatar is a Middle Eastern spice that is a mix of sumac, thyme, sesame seeds, marjoram and oregano. In the Middle East Zaatar is known for its healing benefits and has been used as medicine for thousands of years; also it has been referenced even in the Bible. It has an earthy taste and goes perfectly well with beetroot. You can also try adding it to soups, yoghurt, toast, eggs or sprinkle on hummus.
- 3 large beets, unpeeled
- 1 tbsp Zaatar spice
- 1 cup crumbled Feta cheese
- 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Pinch of Himalayan Sea salt
- Wash beets thoroughly to ensure they are dirt-free, skin on.
- Place beets inside slow cooker and cook for 3-4h on high (or 5-7h slow).
- Once they are cooked, cool down and slightly peel them with a knife, the skin should come off easily.
- Cut all beets in large cubes and place in a narrow bowl or plate.
- Sprinkle with sea salt, Zaatar and pour olive oil over all beets.
- Crumble Feta cheese on top and place in the fridge for 2h.
- Serve cold.
Let cool before peeling and cutting.
I hope you enjoyed this recipe and please let me know in the comments below or say hi on my Instagram!
Have you also tried: