I love celebrating holidays and special occasions, especially if I can prepare a delicious treat and share it with my loved ones. So this year for Valentine`s Day I decided to surprise my fiancé with a delicious and healthy crepe cake. What a better treat for such a sweet day!
Growing up in Latvia my family used to make pancakes for breakfast every weekend so this definitely reminds me of home, family and loving mornings. Through my health journey I have learned how to incorporate more of the healthier ingredients instead of processed ones. For this recipe, for example, I used whole wheat and almond flour instead of white flour. Staying away from processed ingredients and using nutritious and vitamin packed options will not only taste better but your body will thank you for it.
Try out this beautiful cake and let me know what you think. It`s great for kids or occasional celebrations at home!
- 4 whole eggs
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup almond flour/meal
- 1½ cup homemade almond milk
- 1 tbsp raw honey
- pinch of salt
- *splash of water if needed less thick
- Coconut whipped cream:
- 1 full fat organic coconut milk, chilled overnight
- 2 tbsp maple syrup or honey
- fresh blackberries, strawberries, homemade almond butter, raw honey, banana, raw chocolate sauce, homemade chia jam or your favorite toppings!
- For crepes, blend all ingredients in a blender until mixed well, let stand for 10 minutes.
- Heat up a large non-stick pan on medium high heat and grease the pan with some olive oil.
- Pour batter on one side of the pan and swirl it around, pour some more to cover the entire pan in a thin layer.
- Fry for a few minutes, flip on the other side and fry a few more minutes or until brown.
- Continue until all batter is used, about 12 crepes.
- To assemble, take each crepe and place on a large plate, top with fresh berries, place another crepe on top and pour chocolate sauce, continue building the cake until all crepes have been used.
- Top with whipped coconut cream and decorate with fresh berries!
- Keep refrigerated until served!
To make coconut whipped cream:
- Take the coconut cream out of the fridge without shaking and scoop the top layer of cream into a bowl.
- With a hand blender mix it for 1 minute or until creamy.
- Add your choice of sweetener and mix for another 30 second until smooth and creamy.
- Place in the fridge in the meanwhile.
For chocolate sauce:
- Mix 2 tbsp raw cocoa powder with 1 tbsp coconut oil and 1 tbsp maple syrup in a bowl, stir until creamy and even.
- Keep in room temperature up to 2 weeks.
For raspberry chia jam:
- In a saucepan heat up 2 cups frozen raspberries on medium-low heat, stir until softened, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add 2 tbsp raw honey and stir well.
- Add 2 tbsp chia seeds and stir well.
- Let it sit in room temperature for 10 minutes or until cool.
Do you know somebody who would love a recipe like this? Please share it with them!