Halloween is a good reason to bake cupcakes. And to eat them too. especially if they look spooky and creepy. Like these itsy-bitsy-spider chocolate cupcakes with avocado chocolate frosting. Who knew they would be so healthy? Yes, healthy!
This time I decided to not make them completely vegan and add some delicious Greek yoghurt to it which makes them more soft and moist. One of the main ingredients is raw cacao powder, of course. How could I possibly make a dessert and NOT add chocolate?! If you`ve never tried this ingredient – you must. Cacao powder is a raw powder that comes from cocoa bean but can also be made into nibs or butter, which are the purest forms of cocoa. Cocoa is called a superfood for its high nutrition value and is suggested to be eaten daily –wohoo!! Great news for the chocolate lovers!
Cacao benefits include:
- It is extremely nutritious and is high source of magnesium, iron, copper, zinc and polyphenols which is great for heart and brain arteries
- High in fiber (1oz contains 9 grams of fiber)
- Decreases likelihood of having a stroke or heart attack
- Reduces blood pressure and glucose
If you are celebrating Halloween, try making these healthy chocolate cupcakes. You won`t believe how healthy they are and how good they taste. And don`t forget to add extra chocolate for the amazing benefits!
Are you celebrating Halloween this year? If yes, are you making any creepy or spooky goodies? I would love to see your pictures, so tag me in your photos #smarthealthystart on Instagram!
Looking for more chocolate recipes? Try these:
- 1 cup raw cacao powder
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp Greek yoghurt
- ½ cup almond milk
- 1 ripe avocado
- ½ cup almond milk
- ½ cup raw cacao powder
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees
- Prepare 12 muffin liner pan and spray with oil
- In a medium bowl mix all dry ingredients together (cacao, flour, baking powder, salt)
- In a separate bowl or large blender mix eggs, oil and vanilla until fluffy. Add maple syrup, Greek yogurt and milk and mix well
- Slowly add dry ingredient mix to the wet mixture and mix until smooth and no lumps are left
- Divide the batter between the prepared liners and bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Let cool before removing from the pan
- In the mean time, add all ingredients for frosting in a blender or food processor and mix until creamy and even. Place in freezer for 5 minutes
- Before serving, spread the frosting evenly on the cupcakes and decorate with your favorite Halloween decorations